11:00 AM Sunday Oct 25, 2020 to 12:00 PM Thursday Feb 25, 2021
Sundays, 11:00 am Eastern
Leaders & Speakers:
Rabbi Menachem Leibtag
Topics to be Discussed
- Introduction: The Biblical definition of a 'Messianic' time period ( "reishit tzmichat geulateinu"): The famous Cyrus Declaration- and its historic and prophetic setting, including an brief overview of the Biblical books that discuss the time period of Ezra, Chagai & Zecharya
- Yeshayahu chapters 40-48: Who's the prophet and who's the audience? Can an Orthodox Jew entertain the possibility of more than one Isaiah, and can a Relgious Zionist deny it?
- Yirmiyahu's prophecy of "the 70 years" and its ramifications during the time period of "Shivat Tzion"
- The book of Ezra--why it is often mis-understood (and rarely studied). And why it should become part of the core-curriculum in our Jewish Education
- Is the Jewish year really 5781? How the Biblical books of shivat tzion became its source (and the reason for the controversy)
- The book of Chagai, and the Biblical roots of how and when we celebrate Chanuka
- Zecharya chapters 1-6: the vision of the Menorah and the special relevance of the Haftara for Chanuka, as well as exploring it as the symbol of the modern state of Israel
- Zecharya chapters 7 & 8: the reason for the 'Four Fasts' commemorating Jerusalem's destruction
- The book of Nechemya and its effect on Rabbinic Judiasm (part 1 of 2)
- The book of Nechemya and its effect on Rabbinic Judiasm (part 2 of 2)
- Re-examining Megillat Esther, in light of the books of shivat tzion (part 1 of 1)
- Re-examining Megillat Esther, in light of the books of shivat tzion (part 2 of 2)
- The controversy of the 'missing years' of bayit sheni as it centers around the question of who was Achashverosh of the Megilla (3 parts)
- The Prophets of yore, what would they say about the state of Israel today?
- A discussion of our own time period and how it reflects our views on the modern state of Israel and geula.